Tuesday, July 5, 2011

“All the world’s a stage. . .”

'As I mentioned in my last post, I recently took my maiden voyage to see the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City. I was delighted to experience this wonderful event that’s turning 50 this year.

Of course since I’m the queen of pictures, I took about a million, but I’m going to spare you by only posting a few highlights. I hope you don’t mind that my blog is at times my personal travelogue where I share my experiences. But I just get so excited that I can’t help myself. And since a picture is worth 1,000 words anyway, well, in essence I’m also saving you from my wordiness. Yes, I’m getting on with it already.

Here we are at the entrance.

IMG_7809IMG_7810

The Shakespeare Festival is one place where you can enjoy a quick word with the master wordsmith himself. He’s a bit of a silent chap though so he doesn’t add much to the conversation, but we enjoyed conversing with him.

IMG_7821IMG_7824

IMG_7825IMG_7820

Did I mention we got to see Brian Vaughan, who is one of the most well-known (and talented) Shakespeare Festival actors? This year he’s Harold Hill in “The Music Man” and I’d highly recommend the performance. It’s fantastic!

IMG_7812IMG_7815

The Green Show immediately preceding the performance of “Romeo and Juliet.” From what I’ve heard of last year’s show, this one wasn’t nearly as entertaining, but it was still very enjoyable. Have I mentioned “Figaro” lately? Fi-ga-ro, Figaro, Figaro, Figaro. . . You can see him in the picture on the left. He’s the one with the dog ears.

IMG_7833IMG_7836

The Adams Theatre which is pretty stinkin cool! I’ve seen the Globe in London and attended a play there, and this is a great replica. I’ve been told that it’s the most authentic one in the United States, and that is quite impressive. I loved being able to attend a play there. No, I don’t have pictures inside because the camera Nazis won’t let you, so I took them outside.

IMG_7837IMG_7841

IMG_7848IMG_7849

Good old Will Shakespeare. Do you think he had any idea how famous his plays would become? And that they would still be shown to sold-out crowds almost 500 years later? And what a great boost to the Cedar City and Utah economies this festival is. In case you can’t tell, it was a fantastic trip, and I’d love to go again, maybe next year.

No comments: