Monday, April 16, 2012

Remembering the Titanic

Okay, so this weekend I had a little blast from the past when I watched the 1997 movie Titanic, in honor of the 100th anniversary of the sinking this weekend. Before I launch into my revelations about the movie, I want to take a minute to talk about the meaning behind the tragedy.

I can’t get over how many people lost their lives in that tragedy, and I know that’s what makes it such a memorable event. Of the 2,200 people on board only about 700 were saved, 700! That means 1,500 people died that cold night in the Atlantic. Several factors could have decreased that number, from a planned lifeboat drill on the day of the sinking which was mysteriously cancelled to the Californian not responding to the distress rockets to the lifeboats not being launched full and not coming back to help those in the water until it was too late.

I suppose these are all part of the reason this is as terrible of a tragedy as it was. And because of it, safety practices have improved, they’re now required to have enough lifeboats for everyone on board, and wireless operators are on duty 24/7. It sad that it takes a tragedy sometimes for us to see where the holes in a system are, but that is the way it is I suppose.

I dedicate this post in honor of the people who lost their lives sailing on the maiden voyage of the supposed “Ship of Dreams” which left Liverpool, never to be seen again. It makes me sad to think about it, even though I know it happened a long time ago.

2 comments:

Thinking said...

hmm...

Trixie Lovelace said...

I think this is one of those things that you could see as the Lord working a higher purpose and we need to look at how many lives were saved by the stricter rules and regulations that were put in place after the fact.