Monday, June 18, 2012

That used to be me!

For the last week I’ve had a very interesting experience: being asked to supervise and train our new intern, J. It’s my supervisor who has been begging for help the last few months (I need assistance with some projects too), but she’s been so busy with presentations of late that all intern-related tasks have been left up to …. me.

Now don’t get me wrong, I really don’t mind these new responsibilities. In fact, it’s been fun to get to know her and see all the skills she has to offer. We were impressed in our initial interview, and that has carried throughout our working time with her so far. She has a lot to offer, and we’re trying to do our best to provide her with a great experience.

The part that’s been weird for me is … it doesn’t seem that long ago that I was the intern, that I was a freshly graduated (or just about to graduate) college student having my first experience in the professional world. I felt so overwhelmed during that first internship. And, to a certain degree, in the second one too. Overwhelmed and yet eager to prove myself. I wish that I felt like I’d stepped up to the plate more, but it is what it is.

It’s been about six years since I was the intern. Now, not only do we have an intern, but I’ve been doing a lot of supervising. This is my first real experience of being over someone else, and it’s been interesting. I am appreciating what I’ve learned so far, but man I know there’s so much for me to learn!

It’s still just weird for me that I’m a supervisor this time instead of the intern. It’s definitely teaching me some new skills. Wish me luck!

No comments: