Sunday, November 18, 2012

Of the things I can’t control . . .

A long time ago I used to have a notebook with the Serenity Prayer on it. In case you’re not familiar with it, this is what it says, “God grant me the will to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.”

It’s been an important mantra for me throughout my life, even though I sometimes have a hard time living it.

Tonight as I’m supposed to be falling asleep, I find myself struggling with insomnia. The culprit for this problem? Issues affecting people I care deeply about and can do nothing about.

While I tend to use my blog as my sounding board for thoughts and experiences, I try hard not to use it as my personal place to air dirty laundry. As such, I’m not going to talk about the specific issues on my mind this evening. Suffice it to say, they’re fairly serious issues affecting people I care about whom I want to help but can’t.

Certain of them I just want to shake and am having lectures with inside my head, lectures that I know I’d most likely never say for real unless I felt very strongly impressed to do so. I’m not sure that I think the probability of that is high though.

So, what’s the solution to my overthinking, especially for when I need to be sleeping? I think the best course of action is to pray with all my heart and to have hope that things will work out the way they’re supposed to. I must also always have faith to know that people can change, and God works in mysterious ways. He loves all His children and wants the best for them, and I do believe He directs our lives.

All those I care about who are struggling will be taken care of because Father in Heaven has not forgotten them, just as He will never forget me. As long as I remember that (and continue to do what small things I can), I know it’s going to be okay, even if it isn’t for awhile.

No comments: