Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Girl Power Moment!

Today I totally had a girl power moment, and I'm so proud of myself that I have to share it with all of you.

This week I completely jinxed myself. I was looking for a recipe in a drawer and found the extra headlight I had purchased back in June when my headlight burned out. The guy at the store assured me I needed both because they usually go out within a short time of each other. As I looked at the headlight, I started thinking about the fact that seven months have now passed and my other headlight appears to be just fine, so that guy must've been wrong. . .

Little did I know what such thoughts were going to bring.

I was leaving the parking garage the next day when I noticed that in my car's reflection on the glass, my driver's side headlight was out. Yup, I'm sure it was the power of thought alone that caused my headlight to burn out. Okay, not really, but it was certainly ironic.

Last time my home teacher was kind enough to fix my headlight for me. I felt kind of silly because when he did it, he asked me to pull out my owner's manual so he'd know exactly how to do it. I hadn't even thought of that, but I decided this time would be different. I was determined to take care of it on my own.

As soon as I got home on Thursday, I pulled the manual out, found the correct page and started reading up. I even opened the hood, but then I decided I'd better wait because a) my engine was still hot (not that a hot engine should affect changing my headlight, but I thought it better to do it when it was cold) b) it was already dark outside and c) I was still in my nice work clothes. I didn't expect I'd get filthy, but I still thought it would be better to be in more casual attire.

I waited until today to fix it. Before I took off this afternoon, I read all of the instructions again, more carefully this time, then popped the hood. The process was much easier than I'd expected. There was one part where I got stuck and briefly considered asking for help, but I was pretty determined to do it on my own so I persisted and out the light came. After installing the new bulb and putting all the pieces back in, I slammed the hood and checked to make sure my light worked. It did. Yay!!!

I know this is a small accomplishment, but it was a great girl power moment. It also reminded me that I'm a strong, independent woman, which I sometimes tend to forget. Hooray for small victories!

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Tammy, you should be the new Powerpuff Girl! I'm so proud of you for learning to do something new. Asking for help is never a bad thing, but being able to acquire these types of skills will benefit you for the rest of your life.

Go, Tammy!