Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy 2012: Here’s to a great year!

With the turn of the clock last night we bid farewell to 2011 and rang in 2012.

Honestly, it’s really just another day, but at the same time it’s not. A new year is a chance to set new goals, to make positive changes and to work on becoming. I know that’s something we all should be doing anyway and yet somehow don’t.

I am one of those who likes to try hard to make positive changes when a new year comes along. Sometimes I’m successful at accomplishing them and sometimes I’m not. In 2010 I did very well, but in 2011 . . . not so much. I know what I need to do, but I just need a little push to help me actually do it. I consider this to be my chance.

Instead of making a list of goals for this year, I’m going to try something new. It’s more of an overall approach to life that I’d like to put into effect.

This morning I was working on some projects for my mom and ended up watching the Mormon Times program on KSL. They quoted a scripture in 1 Peter that talked about loving life and seeking good days. Then they talked to author Emily Freeman who recently released a book by the same title. I’m very interested in reading her book now, and I think it might help me live my goal. The main point of the segment, which really struck me, is about living with hope and changing your perspective to be able to live with joy. Here’s the link, if you’d like to watch it. It’s Segment 1.

This is something that I’ve been trying to already, but what I decided as I listened to this segment is that I need to try harder. I’m going to work to live with hope for those blessings I still want and don’t yet have, to find happiness and joy in daily living.

I don’t expect that applying this approach will mean that I won’t have bad days or won’t still find myself complaining more often than I’d like, but I’m sure going to try. The main point is to live with hope.

Wish me luck as I take flight on making this the best year of my life. Yes, I know it’s cheesy, but I really believe I can do it.

Isn’t is amazing what just a change on a calendar can do?

No comments: