Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Day of Remembering

Yesterday marked an important anniversary for our family: it was the second anniversary of our beautiful angel’s passing. Part of me can’t believe it’s been that long already while the other part feels like it’s been forever since I’ve seen her.

Because of time of year it is, my mind has been turned to that point two years ago when it first happened. When I got the call I was dreading so much, when I knew her suffering was over, when we gathered to say good-bye. It still hurts to think about it, but it also makes me happy to see that although I still have a hole in my heart for Miss Sassypants and always will that the wound is not so jagged and painful as it used to be. Thanks be to my Savior and the Atonement for that. I have learned it’s only through Him that true healing comes.

This year I once again commemorated this important day with my dear sister and her family. They made a trek down my direction to commemorate their daughter’s life.

First stop: Primary Children’s Medical Center. This wonderful hospital took great care of Ashley the whole time she was on this earth. It’s become a tradition for their family to donate toys to the hospital in her honor. Then we had lunch in the cafeteria.

IMG_9623

I attempted for the next stop to be a visit to my building so we could ride to the top and view the soon-to-open City Creek Center from the top. What I didn’t know is there was an event going on up there, so it didn’t really work out. Oops!

Then we went to the Discovery Gateway. None of us had ever been and it sounded interesting. Suffice it to say, if the kids were smaller, say 8 or under, it would’ve been fascinating. Since they’re not, it was a bit disappointing. Their favorite activity was a replica of a Life Flight helicopter. They had to wait their turn to get in because it’s quite popular, but getting in was well worth the wait.

IMG_9625IMG_9637

IMG_9636IMG_9638

We wanted to kill some time before eating dinner since lunch was a little late. I think Fashion Place Mall is a pretty happening place so we went there. As the Build-A-Bear workshop came into site, my sister and I had the idea to make a bear in Ashley’s honor. So we did! In case you’re wondering, this was my favorite activity of the day.

Here is the bear we picked out. The pink was perfect to represent our girl.

IMG_9641

Here she is stuffed and read to be dressed.

IMG_9642

Hmm, try these on for size. See, we had to find the perfect Diva outfit because it was fitting to represent Ashley. She was always very girly.

IMG_9643

Ta-Dah! Now for some bling . . .

IMG_9645

The finished product. My brother-in-law suggested we name her Tabitha, so here she is, in honor of our beautiful angel. I was surprised and delighted when she got to come home with me. She now holds a place of honor in my room.

IMG_9647IMG_9648

The whole gang with me.

IMG_9651

Love this family! So glad I get to be close to my siblings and to their families.

IMG_9655

I think we did a good job honoring our girl. I’m glad we had this day to get together and do activities that I know she would’ve enjoyed. She’s still watching us from above and although we miss her, we know where she is and that she’s doing great work. Love you angel girl! Can’t wait until we get to see you again!

No comments: