Sunday, January 31, 2010

Schmoozing with the Sundance crowd

Once again I'm a little behind on my blog entries. I've been meaning to write this one for a week now, but last week was pretty busy so I didn't get around to it until now. Sorry about that.

The Sundance Film Festival has been going on in Park City and surrounding areas for over a week now. Although I've lived in Utah for four years now, I've never attended any of the events because, well, they're expensive. I'd prefer to spend my money in other places. However, this year I was given an opportunity to see one of the movies because I got tickets through my work. And we didn't just get to see the movie; we also got to attend a gala celebration before the movie, but more on that in a minute. I was just excited to participate in the festival for the first time since I've lived here. Yay!

Let's start with talking about the gala. The movie we were going to see is called "Get Low." I will tell you the premise, and I'm sure you'll think it sounds weird, but it's actually really good. It's about this man (Robert Duvall) who's been a hermit for more than 40 years. He realizes at the beginning that his death might not be far away so he goes into town to talk to the town pastor about buying a funeral. He's turned off at the idea that he hasn't made his peace with God yet and leaves the church in a huff. Unbeknownst to him, a young man, his wife and child were entering the church just after the hermit begins talking to the pastor. This man turns out to be the assistant to the town mortician (Bill Murray) who convinces the boy that they should try to help this man. He ends up deciding he wants to have a big town party as his funeral, before he dies. Add in a past flame (Sissy Spacek) whom he hasn't seen for many, many years, and it makes for quite an interesting flick. But it's pretty much hilarious!

I've never been too into indie films, but I loved this one! And it sparked interest in me to see even more.

But I digress. Pretty much the gala was really lame. I went to the event with three friends from work, and we were all hoping to see one or more of the film's stars, but they apparently went to the earlier showing so, alas, we didn't get to meet them. We arrived at the gala promptly at 8, only to discover we were part of the handful of people who arrived. Perhaps it livened up later on after the first showing was over, but while we were there it was BORING. We spent most of our time walking through the beautiful OC Tanner building looking at jewelry that probably costs more than I make in several years. I did see a set of salt and pepper shakers for $250, a bargain!

Luckily, we had to leave the gala early in order to get to the movie on time. In this case a ticket does not guarantee you a spot to see the movie. And since we entered the wrong door at the Rose Wagner Center for Performing Arts (there were no signs telling us where we were supposed to go), we were told our tickets were basically "second class" and we had to wait for all the people who had been waiting there for half an hour. Not that I think we should have gotten in before them or anything, but signs telling us where to line up might've been nice. . .

Despite all the frustrations, the movie was fantastic! I highly recommend it and hope that it does get picked up in the regular theaters. It's quite funny but does get more serious at the end. Anyway, here are a few pictures to commemorate the occasion. Enjoy!

Here's me with two friends from work at the gala celebration.

Julie and me in the theater, waiting for the movie to start. . .

Here's the crowd in the theater.


Here's the movie screen from where we were sitting. The seats were at a slightly different angle, but it was still a great view.


Here's the Fashionista doing what she does best--being a fashionista.

No comments: