Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My Heart is Touched

It never ceases to amaze me how people can really step up to the plate when it really matters. Not only can they do what needs to be done, but they can also offer compassion, service and love, which are all necessary and important.

This weekend was probably one of the toughest of my life, but it's also been miraculous in many ways. I was floored when I arrived at my parents' house on Friday night and saw an entire fridge full of food ward members and friends had brought over in support of my family. And it kept coming for the rest of the weekend. With each doorbell ring, I found myself touched more by the loving kindness that people show when it really matters.

My heart was filled with gratitude as I saw the number of people, including many extended family members, who came to support my sister and brother-in-law and our family. I was grateful too for my friends who drove a long distance to be there for me when I needed it. It's making me cry just thinking how touched I am by that. How can you thank someone for coming through for you when you needed it most, when you were truly at one of the lowest and hardest points in your life? I don't really know, but I'm trying to figure it out. I do know that if the situation were reversed, I would be there in a heartbeat, so I hope that, for now, that's a start.

I just want to say thanks to all the folks in the Paul 2nd and Nampa something wards (I can't remember which ward number Nampa is so sorry about that) who have helped and supported our family. I owe an even bigger thanks to my dear friend the Bibliophile who flew 2,000 miles to be there not only for me but for my entire family. She bravely oversaw details, purchased groceries, cared for children and offered support. I don't know how to adequately express my thanks for that either.

I just know that my heart is full and has truly been touched.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

You would do the same for any one of us. Being with you this weekend could not begin to repay all of the support and love you have shown me over the years.