Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Confessions of an American Idol addict

As they say, confession is good for the soul, so here's my confession: I am completely addicted to American Idol!

From January to May, I make it a priority to ALWAYS be home if possible on Tuesday and Wednesday nights at 7 p.m. so I can watch the show (I don't have cable or a VCR so if I don't watch it live, I can't see it) preferably with my very dear Speak. She is as much of a fan as I am! Plus, since she has more of a musical background than I do, I love listening to her critiques, which often make me burst into giggles because of their snarkiness. . . :)


Here is my other addiction: I love reading Michael Slezak's American Idol reviews on EW.com. I stumbled upon them last year, and now I find it imperative to sneak a few minutes during the day to read the reviews once the show has aired. I love his pragmatic approach and that he knows what he's talking about. Sometimes he can articulate what it is I was thinking but couldn't put into words.

Here's the link from his column about Tuesday night's auditions: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20007164_20171835_20255444,00.html



And yesterday, to my surprise and delight, I discovered another aspect to his American Idol coverage in the form of Idolatry. These are videos of him and another member of the EW staff discussing events which happened during that week. Last week they talked about the Joanna Pacetti controversy. (She had a record deal and recorded some music but it didn't work out so now she's on Idol. It's kind of the same situation Carly Smithson was in last season. The controversy is always should these types of people be allowed on the show since it's intended for undiscovered talent?) This week he interviewed Melinda Doolittle, the third runner up from Season 6, who is talented enough to have been the winner but tragically got voted off early.



Okay, I know that right about how you're thinking just how pathetic that I am, and I know it. I can't help it! I am addicted to the world of entertainment news and pop culture, especially American Idol. When it churns out such talent as David Cook (the smokin' hot winner from last season who deserved the Idol crown) and Carrie Underwood, I will never say it's all bad. Enjoy the eye candy below. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Don't let her lie to you, readers! What she really loves about watching American Idol with me is that I have an incredibly visceral reaction to bad singing.

Indeed 'tis not an exaggeration to say that the really bad ones make me cringe.

Although at least I'm putting the musical training I've had to good use by evaluating them. Sometimes in a snarky way.

But sometimes not!