Thursday, November 5, 2009

Replay -- Do Not Laugh?

Oh my poor neglected blog! I officially reached an all time low last month in only writing in here twice. Oops! Oh well! I guess that means life events have just kept me so busy that I haven't had the time or the inclination to write, not always sure which. But let's not dwell on all of that. I'm more interested in talking about today.

I'm going to start by saying today was just one of those days, you know the ones when nothing catastrophic happens but it seems a whole series of small events happen that seriously seem to mess things up? And bear with me because this post is going to be long. If you get bored, just skip to the middle/end part which is where the humor comes in. :)

To start off, I've been recovering from a rather nasty illness this week, and last night was the first night I tried to sleep without medication. It seems my body didn't like that idea or maybe I've turned into a minor drug addict because it didn't work out so well. I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and although I tried, I was unable to go back to sleep. *sigh * Probably a little bit of a setback to my recovery. I didn't even feel tired until right before it was time to go to work, and by then it was too late to do anything about it.

I felt disconnected and out of it for most of the day. (A measly three hours of sleep will surely do that to you, right.) A slight miscommunication meant I was delayed on a deadline. I heard from someone today that I'd rather not talk to for a variety of reasons, and I just didn't have the emotional energy to deal with it. I was trying so hard not to wallow in everything that I was feeling, but the plain fact is that all I really wanted to do was go home, crawl into bed and cry. I finally resigned myself to feeling miserable at least for a little while.

But then something happened to drastically improve my mood. And it's all thanks to Smirk!

As I was preparing the documents for my deadline, I asked Smirk about the pronunciation of a foreign word contained in the documents. She told me the correct way to say it but then jokingly said she was sure nobody would mind if it was pronounced in a completely unaccented American way and said the words that way. For whatever reason, this set me into peals of giggles.

Laughing is one of my preferred ways to deal with stressors in my life, particularly things I can't control. However, my illness has left me with a lovely smoker laugh that not only sounds funny but also makes me cough, yup, you guessed it, my smoker cough. Good thing this is only temporary!

But even though I know my laugh sounds ridiculi (ask Smirk if you don't know what that is), I couldn't help laughing over and over about this. And then I was writing something on the top of the document and realized that instead of writing "Replay -- Do Not Record", I had instead written "Replay -- Do Not Laugh." You can guess what happened after that. Smoker laugh, smoker laugh.

This may seem like a silly little thing, especially because I kept laughing about it the rest of the afternoon, but honestly, it turned my entire day around. It didn't make the frustrating things go away; instead, it put me in a better mood to deal with them, well some of them anyway. Thank goodness that my mind is so often entertained by simple things. :)

1 comment:

Anderson said...

Too Funny. Get some sleep girl!