Sunday, January 16, 2011

What is it men are really looking for?

A few weeks ago they made a change to my ward and the building where we meet. Apparently where singles wards are concerned the new thing is to create a hub where several singles wards all meet and then get us to mingle with one another. I’m sure the idea is to give us the chance to meet even more people than we would just from our ward. I love that the Church is sensitive to this need and is trying to address it.

Today, my ward, which meets in the afternoon, had a mingle with the two 9 a.m. wards that share our building. I wanted to support this endeavor and am fully committed to being more involved with my ward this year, no matter how much I think it’s going to kill me at times, so I made the effort to go. I ran into a couple friends from the ward as I walked in, which was great because then I could sit with them.

The only problem is that it’s slightly overwhelming to be in a huge group like that. I know I used to do it at school all the time but that was awhile ago now, and I’m afraid I’m out of practice. Plus people tend to stay where they’re comfortable, and I’m just as guilty as anyone else. I sat on the side next to my two friends and mostly people watched and observed. I did lean over to talk to a girl who sat down beside me, but she lost interest in the conversation when a guy she knew came over to sit by her.

One of the things I thought as I people watched is how many beautiful and attractive people were in the room. There were all kinds of pretty girls who were also dressed tastefully and stylishly. A lot of the men fell in the same category, except they were handsome as opposed to pretty.

I just had to wonder: with this many pretty people in one room, how in the world do you make yourself stand out? And what is it that men are really looking for in a girl, and along the same lines, how do you attract their attention long enough to show them you possess said qualities?

I looked at many of those girls and wondered why in the world these men haven’t already snapped them up. I know we all have our issues and perhaps habits we have to overcome, but surely that shouldn’t be a huge detriment to starting a relationship with someone. Yes, I know I’m oversimplifying, but what I mean to say is that really a good reason for not starting a relationship?

Dating is, in many respects, one of the necessary evils of the world. You have to do it, you have to play the game, so to speak, in order to reach the final goal, which in this case would be marriage. But my goodness it seems to be a complicated road anymore! Perhaps someday I’ll figure it out, and great things will happen. Until then, I guess I get to hang out with the rest of the herd, hoping to find a way to distinguish myself. Yikes!

No comments: