Friday, January 28, 2011

You should expect the unexpected

I've talked before about how the only constant in life is change. Well, I have another mantra to add to that: the only thing you should expect from life is the unexpected.

Yeah, I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but seriously it's the truth. You may be coasting along (although I can't say my life in the last year has been coasting. . . more like a twisting and turning roller coaster) until you hit a pothole or something else happens. It could be serious or it could be minor, but my guess is that it'll throw you for a loop. And the only thing you can do about it is to dig your heels in and hold on for the ride.

I feel like that in the last couple of weeks. Although this isn't happening directly to me, it still affects me. Yes, I'm going to stop beating around the bush now and just tell you about it already.

Last week my sister went to get her thyroid checked. There was a reason why, but now I can't remember. They discovered a growth on it and told her it would need to be removed. She met with the surgeon on Monday and expected to have the growth taken out in about two weeks.

Wrong!

They called her Tuesday and said she was having surgery on Thursday. She was upset because she wasn't prepared for it to be that quick, but being the tough person she is, she dug her heels in for the ride. My parents made the trek up to be with her and her family, which I'm very glad about.

It turns out it was good they moved so quickly to remove the growth because it was cancerous. That meant instead of removing half her thyroid, they took all of it. She'll have to be on pills for the rest of her life without it, but if it means she's cancer free, she'll take it! She's now recovering in the hospital and just might get to go home tomorrow.

I've been told about several people who've had this very same thing happen and have made it through with flying colors. I'm hoping the same will be true for my dear sister. It did all happen very quickly, and with this type of cancer, the quicker they move, the better things work out. It tends to be contained, which is a very good thing.

I have to be honest though: the "c" word pretty much scares the heck out of me. It just has bad connotations, and I've known too many people back at home who've been negatively impacted by it. I'm praying hard such will not be the case for us though. Please remember my sister and her family in your prayers. We appreciate the help as we deal with something else unexpected.

No comments: