Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Following Frankenstorm, also known as Hurricane Sandy

I don’t’ know what it is about New York City, but somehow it seems like in every movie involving some type of natural disaster or alien invasion, New York City is always one of the first targets.

As one of the largest and most famous cities in the world, not to mention one of the financial capitols of the United States, I suppose it makes sense why it would be one of the first cities hit. And because so many people live there, the victims pile up quickly.

But it’s always just fiction. Until this week.

Hurricane Sandy made landfall in Cuba before setting a course straight for the Eastern United States. It’s always terrible anytime a hurricane makes landfall, but especially in highly populated areas. I don’t recall a hurricane having hit this particular area before.

I’ve been so struck reading stories, watching the news and looking at pictures online of famous landmarks that have been hard hit with Hurricane? Superstorm? Sandy in the last few days. Stories of mandatory evacuations, homes destroyed, taxis floating in water, etc. kept me spellbound at work today. I’d try to post them here, but I don’t wan to violate copyright laws or anything so I won’t.

I suppose this just goes to show that nowhere is safe from natural disasters. As a good friend pointed out today, someday it’ll be our turn here to have a natural disaster. Most likely an earthquake, but I’d rather not dwell on that.

In any case, my heart and prayers go out to all the victims of this terrible disaster. I wish them luck and good fortune as they put their lives together and begin the hard work of restoration.

No comments: