Sunday, October 28, 2012

And the adventure for this week is . . .

This week I had an interesting experience that I wanted to share here, in my blog. I haven’t ever been through anything quite like it, which is why it struck me the way it did.

So, the month of October was a busy one for my department at work with several trips planned. One of them got moved to November, but the other one this week, an Idaho market visit following my supervisor’s presentation on Wednesday, has been in the works for awhile. I’ve been anticipating this trip for weeks because not only would it give us much-needed Idaho business, it was also a chance to visit my sister and her family.

I scheduled all the visits a week ago, and we were good to go. My only hang up was whether to drive my car or get a rental since I planned to stay through the weekend.

Except things didn’t quite turn out as planned.

I was talking to my aunt on Sunday night about the trip when I suddenly started feeling really nervous and sick to my stomach about it. I knew what it meant: something about the trip wasn’t right.

For anyone who is of a different faith, I believe that God protects us and gives us warnings when something we’re going to do will put us in danger. This was clearly that type of warning.

Since the trip was for work and all set up, I was distressed at the idea something was wrong and I shouldn’t be going after all. I tried hard to shove the thought down, but it wouldn’t go away. The more I thought about it, the sicker and more anxious I felt. And I had no idea how to explain to my supervisor, who doesn’t share my faith, that I had received a prompting from God not to go so she’d have to handle the visit on her own since I wouldn’t be there to help coordinate.

I had a conversation with a good friend who offered me some great insight. I followed her advice and had a nice conversation with my supervisor, who was very understanding, although the way I explained it to her, she kept referring to it as anxiety, when I knew it was more than that.

Suffice it to say that I didn’t end up going. Whatever the reason why I wasn’t supposed to go (most likely I’ll never know), both my mom and my grandma also had impressions of the danger to me if I made the trip, so it must’ve been something fairly serious. However, I am happy to report that I’m safe at home as I write this, so it’s a good thing I recognized a prompting and heeded it.

No comments: