Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring has sprung and I LOVE it!!

So I realize we've had a few days here and there with good weather, but for the last two days, the weather has been absolutely gorgeous, and I'm loving it almost beyond all belief! In fact, I almost can't get enough of it!

After an extremely busy week which left me with pretty awful burnout, I was in need of something to lift my lagging spirits. The beautiful spring weather has done just the trick! Saturday dawned a beautiful, clear and sunny day. I've been busy for the last couple weeks so I haven't had time to do my customary Saturday workout. I had every intention of going to the gym, but the weather was just too nice so instead I took a long walk into the Avenues. If you're not familiar with the Aves, it's one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city, and it's full of beautiful older-style houses, apartment complexes and even some businesses. I love walking up there.

Of course, it's not enough for me to just walk through the neighborhood--I have to challenge myself, so I like to walk one block over and one block up. Again, those unfamiliar with the Aves wouldn't know that they sit atop a large hill so the higher you get, the steeper it is. Yesterday I set a new personal best--I walked all the way up to 12th Avenue and E Street. I was pretty darn proud of myself. And it felt so lovely to be outside in the beautiful sunshine! I even stopped at the Sweet branch of the City Library to pick up a book I need for a presentation I'll be doing this week.

I don't know that I have always appreciated just how much of an effect the weather can have on you, but this weekend proved to me that it can and it does! When you're feeling low, taking a walk in the beautiful sunshine can be soothing to the troubled soul. (Well that and exercise releases endorphins, which also makes you happy.) :)

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Mmmm, Spring. It makes me want to watch baseball and go swimming and all the rest of those sporty things I never do in real life.