Monday, July 27, 2009

Help, help I'm trapped on TRAX!

When most people see TRAX, they think, "Ah, public transportation that will get me where I need to go."

After my experience today, I see it and think, "Oh no! A potential prison!"

Have I caught your attention yet? Even if I haven't, here's my story.

Sunday was my dear Smirk's birthday. Of course we didn't see her since we aren't required to work, so today we were having a celebratory lunch. Restaurants in the immediate vicinity of our building are in short supply I'm afraid because of all the construction. As such, we have been to the ones close by many, many times. Smirk wanted to choose somewhere different, which ended up being a restaurant just a few blocks away, or rather one TRAX ride and then a two-block walk, which would be far more convenient than driving.

We took our TRAX ride and had a lovely lunch which lasted a little longer than most of us thought it would. We made our way back up the block and to the TRAX stop. While waiting for the train, Smirk, the Fashionista, the Boss and myself started making up gum flavors for what could be our million-dollar gum company! Okay, not really, but it was fun to think of the silly names anyway. As a side note, it was quite hot out today, even in the shade.

Finally the TRAX train arrived and we all hopped on to take the short ride back to our building. We arrived there without incident and the doors opened. Somehow I got separated from everyone else and made it to the door just as it was closing. I reached my hand out, thinking that would stop it, but, alas, it did not. The people sitting behind me started telling me to press the button. I searched in vain for the button, but unfortunately I couldn't find it before the train started pulling away. I was trapped on TRAX!! Just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot, I should explain that this was an older car, so instead of the very clear "door open" button the newer TRAX cars have, this was just a clear place on the side that didn't say anything about opening the door.

Luckily, the next stop was only about a block and a half away, so I arrived shortly. I had seen the TRAX train going the opposite direction at the same time we turned the corner, so I knew it would be at least a 15 minute wait before another would come. So, I decided to brave the heat and just walk back to my building.

Ordinarily this wouldn't be a big deal; I really do enjoy walking and a block and a half is not that far. However, when it's almost 100 degrees outside, and my feet were already telling me they hated me because I'd stupidly forgotten to change into my sandals before our little jaunt, so I was wearing heels, it was a little bit of a different story. I did make it back to my building safely, albeit a bit, okay more than a bit, sweatier than I had been before.

The most interesting part is what my colleagues thought had happened to me. They all filed off the train and were crossing the street when a lady who was running to catch the train tripped right in front of them. They kindly helped her up, and the Boss flagged the train so she made it on. Suddenly they realized I wasn't with them, and they had no idea where I was. They wondered if somehow the lady tripping had been a distraction for someone to (gasp) kidnap me!

But, as you well know, I was not kidnapped but just trapped on TRAX. I finally rejoined them, and all was well.

The end!

The offending party:
I was trying to upload this image, but it's just not cooperating, so here's a link to a page that shows the offending party: http://protophoto.com/picture.html?pic+14454

No comments: