Sunday, July 19, 2009

How in the World Could this Be?

Oh my goodness! I have something exciting to report. The seemingly impossible has happened! No, it doesn't have anything to do with dating or marriage. Sorry for anyone who thought I was making a big announcement through my blog. I'm actually writing to tell you that I saw the sixth Harry Potter movie on Saturday (gasp!) and I actually liked it!!

I should clarify so you know why this is so significant. I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter books. I was first introduced to them back in the day when only the first three had been released. Like millions of other fans around the world, I waited in anticipation for 4, 5, 6 and, finally, 7. And I was not disappointed with how it all turned out. J.K. Rowling did a masterful job of crafting the series and Jim Dale does a fabulous job with the narration on the CDs. The problem is that I have been less than impressed with the movie adaptations. The first one just felt rushed because it felt like they tried to squeeze every bit into it so fans would be pleased. I liked the second movie well enough, but I was disappointed with the third through fifth movies.

When a friend and I decided we wanted to get together on Saturday and that our get together should involve seeing Harry Potter, I felt only lukewarm about it. I wanted to see it because I like to know what the hype is about, but now I'm glad I did because the movie was great!

For anyone who's not familiar with the Harry Potter storyline, the sixth book involves Harry working with Dumbledore to piece together Tom Riddle's life before he became Lord Voldemort, so he will know how to defeat him. It also deals with teenage angst over relationships, especially liking someone else when they seem to be interested in someone else. I'm not going to give away the end here, but the book ends sadly, especially as it was setting things up for the seventh book.

This was hands down the best movie adaptation of any of the books! I was impressed with the way they managed to incorporate most of the important elements into the movie. They changed a few things, a couple of which I wasn't crazy about, but on the whole I was pleased with the movie! It has enough humor to balance out the darker parts of the film. The action is well supplemented with strong dialogue. And I thought the acting was great! The kids who play the main characters are starting to get older, but the only one who's looking dangerously close to being too old (as my very dear Speak pointed out) is Tom Felton, who plays Draco Malfoy. Even so he manages to pull it off.

Surprisingly enough, I would highly recommend Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I know, shocking!

2 comments:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

You're awesome girl!! I don't know if I loved it as much as you did - but I thought it was fun!

Unknown said...

Hey Tammy,
I haven't read any of the books and I watch the movies to get the story line. I wasn't impressed with the movie only because I was soooo confused. I probably should have watched the 5th movie again. I kept asking Spencer for clarity.