Friday, July 24, 2009

Not as serious as it sounded

Oh dear! I think I might've made my last post a bit too dramatic! Sorry about that everyone! I wrote the post because a) I've never had anything like that done before and b) I wanted to make sure I wouldn't forget the experience. Perhaps I'd better clarify so I don't panic anyone out.

The procedure I had done was an Upper GI Endoscopy. Basically it means that they sedate you in order to stick a probe with a camera down your throat to check out your esophagus and stomach. It's a routine procedure that only takes about 5-15 minutes to complete. Of course I had to be sedated so I wouldn't choke on the probe when they put it down my throat.

The reason I had it done is to find out the cause of a mystery pain that I've been having in my left side for three months. An ultrasound in June didn't show anything, but I was told a visit with a GI doctor might shed some light on the situation. He gave me some medicines that appear to be helping the problem. The pain hasn't gone away, but it's now at a more bearable level. My "magic pills" help make it go away. :)

The doctor did take some samples during the procedure to send off for further testing, but I won't know the results of those for 7-10 days. I guess we'll just have to see what, if anything, those tests show. Perhaps they might help solve the mystery. Only time will tell.

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has expressed their concern. I honestly am a little shocked by such a response, but I feel grateful to have such supportive friends and family!! I love you all! Happy Pioneer Day!

No comments: