Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In the minority

This weekend I had the wonderful experience of going to Idaho and spending plenty of time with my family. Oh how I LOVE being with my family, and nothing in the world makes me happier. :)

I was blessed to be able to ride to and around Idaho with my sisters. Unfortunately, the sister I was riding with the most was having a little car trouble. To save her van a little stress, she had to take it slow, which meant going exactly the speed limit or slightly under.

I have to be honest--like many others, I'm a chronic and unrepentant speeder. I'm usually in a hurry so I push it and maybe go five miles or so over the speed limit. It was quite a change for me to not be speeding for once, but I definitely think it was good for me. I suppose what I most noticed in our reduced speed is just how many people speed along the roads because most do. The question isn't if they're speeding; it's more like how much are they speeding? Some people flew past us while others eased by. I was just amazed to think how many people, like me, speed along the freeway above the speed limit. without giving it a second thought.

I'm not going to promise that this will make me stop speeding because I'm pretty sure that would be a lie. But I am going to think more carefully about how it feels to be in the minority of those who consistently follow the speed limit.

1 comment:

Gallup Family said...

After our car accident last December, I find it hard to do the speed limit or even use cruise control. I feel so much more in control doing 65 on the freeway. Plus the benefit of better gas mileage.
I cannot even understand the people who fly by me doing close to 90+. Sometimes it even makes me shudder. Good luck on being a safer driver!