Thursday, September 2, 2010

My heart goes out to you

I heard some news this week that makes me very sad indeed. The Deseret News, my former employer, announced that it was letting 43 percent of its workforce go. This means (if I recall correctly) that 57 full-time and 28 part-time employees are now out of work. And there wasn't really any time for these people to adjust to the news; according to a former colleague, all those who lost their jobs were required to leave by the end of day Tuesday when the announcement was made.

Oh how my heart hurts for all those who find themselves so suddenly without a job! I learned only yesterday that one of my friends was a casualty of the layoff. It's always been a deep dark fear of mine to suddenly lose my job like that. To not have a source of steady income terrifies me. And I feel so bad for those who will now be searching for work in such a rough economic situation.

They say this will be a positive change and that combining the D-News staff with the KSL team is going to create the largest newsroom in the state. It's going to be hard, however, to provide the same level of reporting with such a reduced staff. I sure hope that everything goes well with the transition. I'm sure it won't be without its difficult moments as all transitions are.

Bur for all those who won't be joining in this effort, please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, and I wish you luck in finding a new source of employment. I'm sure that although the paper will still be an important news source that it won't be the same without all of you.

No comments: