Thursday, September 16, 2010

Choices

Oh my goodness! I've been dying this week because I wanted to write in my blog all week long, but, alas I still don't have Internet access at home. It's driving me crazy! I'm still looking into solutions and have a couple in mind but nothing definite yet.

I wanted to write yesterday about those key moments in life when you realize you're presented with an important choice of whether to accept something or not. Either way is going to have consequences, but you have only a short time to decide which way you'll choose.

I've had at least two experiences in my life when this happened to me. Something came up and I really didn't like either situation, but I was forced to choose whether I'd accept it or not. Acceptance meant putting myself on the road to being okay with something that really wasn't, while not accepting it would just make me miserable.

In both cases I chose to take the higher road and accept the situation, even if I didn't like it. And I was better off for having done so.

This week I've been presented with a similar choice. Some things have happened at work that, quite honestly, I don't really like. I was hoping that the situation might change, but such is not going to be the case. The other day it was made clear to me that not only was it NOT going to change but it was going to be even worse than I'd anticipated. And there was nothing I could do about it.

So. . . the question now is do I choose to accept the situation and do my best to deal with it? Or do I hold back and potentially make myself more miserable in the process, fruitlessly hoping there was still a chance it could change?

Being me, I squared my shoulders and tried to make the best of a difficult situation. I have to be honest--I was resentful of the whole situation, despite deciding the best choice was to accept what I didn't like. And today it was a little better, but this is far from over.

I'm going to have to work harder than ever and probably do some things I don't like, but I'm sure it'll be okay. After all, I've already made the choice to accept the situation, even if it's preferable to not do so. Wish me luck!

No comments: