Sunday, August 28, 2011

Culinary disasters!

A few weeks ago I was having a discussion with my supervisor and another colleague. We were talking about cooking, specifically that one dish you own because you can nail it every time you make it. Hers happens to be this delicious coconut cake that I missed sampling while I was in Yellowstone.

I’ve been thinking about it ever since because while I consider myself to be a decent cook, there’s not one specific dish that I would consider as my specialty. Until I thought about Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. I love them! I’ve practically memorized the recipe because I make them so much.

When my bananas were looking a little too ripe to eat this week, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. But this time it didn’t turn out quite the way I expected.

IMG_8575IMG_8580

Did I jinx myself by deciding this is the dish I own? Or did I just have a bad cooking night?

For my own peace of mind, I’m going to choose the latter. But, for the record, this is the only time I’ve ever seen them turn out this way. And it may be because I was cooking them at the same time I was making zucchini bread, which also didn’t turn out quite as I’d hoped or expected.

IMG_8577 IMG_8578

The bread itself is fine, but it sure fell apart when I tried to take it out of the pan. I even floured and sprayed it too. Dang it!

Better luck next time I decide to be Betty Crocker. Or maybe I should stick to baking one thing at a time. It seems to work out better for me that way.

No comments: