Monday, August 22, 2011

You are not forgotten

The past few days have been difficult for me, just for various reasons. As I mentioned in my last blog post, I do have the end of summer blues, but there’s a few other concerns weighing on my mind too. I’m not going into specifics here, but I’ve been dealing with my problems as best I can. Tonight I made the effort to resolve the situation in the way that felt right to me.

But that’s not why I’m writing. I want to talk about the experience I had yesterday. For the reason I was alluding to above, I’ve been rather anxious and upset. I got up early for church so I could study a lesson I was planning to give later that night. I was trying hard to set aside my concerns so they wouldn’t affect the lesson I was striving so hard to prepare.

As I read over the lesson and read a scripture associated with it, a part of it struck me in a way it never had before. It touched me to the point of tears. The thought, in gist, is this, that one of the blessings of temple attendance is that angels can minister to us as a result of giving that service.

Of course my mind immediately turned to our beautiful angel and the fact that I know she has been allowed to minister to members of my family since she died. Some of my most touching experiences with her have come when I’ve been in the temple, which is probably why that scripture struck me so much.

Anyway, as I continued my Sabbath day preparations, I was so filled with the Spirit. I felt at peace and I knew everything was going to be okay. I was touched by something our teacher spoke about in Relief Society. The lesson was about the temple and family history. She showed a clip about the new FamilySearch where they talked about the people whose work we do in the temple. These are people who lived difficult lives, and many of them died believing God had forgotten them. By doing their temple work, we are showing that God definitely didn’t forget them and wants to provide them with the most choice blessings he can offer.

Later that evening I went to a fireside about the Book of Mormon. Basically our stake has been challenged to read the entire book between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31. But we’re supposed to read it with a purpose, and it will touch our lives in ways we never would’ve thought possible. I’m intrigued with that idea and am excited to get started. What touched me the most though was the closing song “If the Savior Stood Beside Me.”

I’ve heard it before, and it touched me then but in my weepy state, it sent me into tears. I couldn’t even sing the second or third verse. This is what the third verse says, “He is always near me, though I do not see him there. And because He loves me dearly, I am in his watchful care. So, I’ll be the kind of person that I know I’d like to be if I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.”

Those words struck me because I realized in that moment that I am not alone, I have not been forgotten. My Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ love me very much and no matter how alone I feel sometimes, they are always there for me. I can’t tell you how much I needed that message yesterday. I needed it more than I realized, and I’m even a mess as I write about it here.

To end this post on a happy note, here’s one more great thing. These were not sent to me, but they were sent home with me to enjoy, and I truly have been. Every time I look at them, they make me smile. Just one more reminder that I haven’t been forgotten.

IMG_8569

No comments: