Sunday, August 21, 2011

End of summer blues

Today is the 21st of August. That means the month is more than halfway over. And I was distressed to learn that several schools are already starting next week. Not that school starting is a bad thing; I’m just distressed that it means the end of summer is rapidly approaching.

Once again I find myself rather melancholy at that thought.

When I was younger I didn’t like it because it meant those lazy summer days with no school were over, even though I was usually excited to start a new school year. The change was always exciting, and I used to anticipate going back to school. Yes, I was nerdy like that, but with both of my parents as teachers, how could I help it?

Now I still get sad but for different reasons. I’m usually sad because I so desperately love and anticipate the summer. I love that it’s green outside, that it’s light for so long, that I can hear the birds as I wake up in the morning, that I don’t have to worry about defrosting my car as I dash to the train, that I don’t have to wear a jacket or long pants and that it’s fun to be outside enjoy the beauty our Father in Heaven created. Yes, I pretty much love it all. I enjoy that summer tends to be a more relaxed time and there’s always plenty of fun activities to look forward to.

I also love that it’s vacation season which usually means I get to spend plenty of time with my family. There’s always the Yellowstone vacation to look forward to and, if I’m lucky, another trip to anticipate. But when it’s all over, it’s a bit of a letdown. This year I got smart though and decided to do my big trip in October so I have something to look forward to. I’m excited that I was able to plan it that way.

I suppose what I’m most sad about is the time that has disappeared. Those memories are so precious to me and part of me wants to go back so I can live it all again. But I know life isn’t meant to be lived by looking backward, only moving forward. Yes, I can look back on all the great times I’ve had this summer and cherish them, keeping them close to my heart.

And in the next two weeks as August winds its way quickly to September, I’m going to do my best to live it up and enjoy the summer while I can. I’m going to find the way to make each moment count as much as I can. That should help me fight these end of summer blues.

No comments: