Saturday, September 22, 2012

Lost in a world of words

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been in love with words. What joy it was when I learned how words make up something magical called a story. And then you get introduced to new people and places as you read stories. The best ones are strong enough to create an entire world right inside your head.

I was a hopeless bookworm as a teenager, and many hours were spent reading about new places, people and experiences. Yes, I was a Harry Potter fan, and yes, I did attend at least one midnight event to get one of the books. Even as an adult, I still love getting lost in a great book. I love strong characters, interesting plots, new worlds, oh and some quality romance too. That always makes things more interesting. Winking smile

Even though commuting to work isn’t always fun, it’s been nice to know I get an extra hour of reading time in every day. I’ve made plenty of trips to the library to keep a nice supply of reading material on hand. Rarely do I find one I absolutely can’t stand.

For whatever reason lately I find myself completely obsessed by reading. Normally the hour of commute time a day (less if I find friends on Trax and chat instead of reading on the way to work) is enough to keep my literary appetite satiated, but that hasn’t been the case in the last month.

Instead, I find myself completely sucked into books and unable to put them down. I take care of things I need to do in the evenings, but as soon as I’m done, I can’t wait to pick my book back up again and get lost in it. I’ve spent way too many nights of late lost in a good book until WAY past my bedtime. Yikes!! Guess how fun it is to get up for work when that happens?

I guess now that I’m aware I have an addiction that’s causing me to lose sleep (an innocent enough one I suppose, but still serious enough it needs to be dealt with), it’s time to find a way to fight it. It’ll probably be easier said than done, but I’ll do my best.

Getting lost in a world of words is fantastic, but like everything else it just needs to be done in moderation. I can work on cutting down my time spent reading.  It’ll take some effort, but I’m confident I can do it. Wish me luck!

No comments: