Monday, June 1, 2009

Bless the Gilmores!

Today was Monday, and like most people, I dislike Mondays. Not only is it the start of a new week but it's somewhat of a letdown after the two days of freedom the weekend affords. I try to do my best to make it an okay day, and sometimes I succeed. Today I failed miserably.

I must confess that it was a pretty icky day for a variety of reasons. I don't want to go into detail about why, but suffice it to say that it wasn't a good day. I came home feeling beaten and discouraged, but I'm happy to report that I feel okay now. This is because of a couple special friends I have, namely Lorelai and Rory Gilmore.

You may be shaking your head in confusion right now or looking at me (if this were an actual conversation rather than a blog post) like I'm an idiot or something because, well, they aren't real. And I agree--they are characters on a well known TV series that had a seven-year run. However, in the last six months, my very dear Speak has introduced me to the land of Stars Hollow and all the people in it, and it has become near and dear to my heart. I find Gilmoreland a very appropriate place to escape when I need to think about something other than my own life, when I'm sick or when I can't go home to Idaho because of inclement weather. There's something to be said about living in someone else's life, even for a short time. You can do this through movies, books, TV series or even by living vicariously through other people.

As I mentioned, Stars Hollow has become my escape of choice, and tonight it helped soothe me after a difficult day (in combination with a little ice cream). Something that allows you to escape can't be all bad, can it?!

No comments: