Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My New Goal

It may or may not be silly to post several times in one night, but in any case, I am choosing to do so. There's no time like the present, right?!

So we were having a lesson about the Word of Wisdom in church on Sunday. I know some people find this topic to be to be either difficult to teach or boring, but I enjoyed the lesson. It was team taught because the teachers decided to combine both Sunday School classes, and although it could've gone either way, I thought the teachers did a great job. I was also impressed by some of the profound comments made during the lesson.

The part that stuck out to me, and encouraged me to set a new goal, was the part about sleep. Okay, this isn't actually in the Word of Wisdom, but one of the teachers had us visit Section 88:124 (I believe, but I'm too lazy to go look it up) which mentions going to bed early and arising early.

I must confess: I suck at going to bed. I am the world's worst nighthawk, even when there isn't really anything pressing that I need to be doing. I just always seem to find distractions to keep me from getting into my nice, comfortable bed at a reasonable hour unless I'm sick. However, when we talked not only about not sleeping too long but also getting the proper amount of rest, I was struck with the idea because I realized it's definitely something I need to work on.

I made a goal for myself, which I haven't done exceptionally well at keeping this week, but I'm committed to doing better. I promised myself to be in bed by 11 each night. Sometimes it might be closer to 11:30, but my goal is to make it well before midnight. I just know that it will help me feel better and be able to be more productive at work so I'm not lagging from exhaustion. By writing this in my blog, I am recommitting myself to follow through with it. I may occasionally post progress checks to make sure I'm really doing it, so bear with me. Accountability is the key to accomplishing any goal.

Sleep is so good for my body and helps me feel refreshed. Here is my commitment to make sure I get an adequate amount of it. . . :)

No comments: