Saturday, December 18, 2010

The MoTabs and David Archuleta

Last night I discovered I had tickets to the hottest show in town: David Archuleta and special guest Michael York performing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square. I love, love, LOVE the MoTab Christmas concert, and this is the fourth I've attended since living in Salt Lake City. The concerts I've been to have all been beautifully done, so I was excited to see it.

I have to be honest though. Having watched Archie on American Idol, I was anticipating what it would be like to see him perform in person, but it wasn't only seeing him that got me excited about the concert. It was the whole package I was excited about more than anything.

The concert was great, very beautifully done! The dancers were excellent, the songs were great, Michael York's performance was lovely and, yes, I thought Archie did good too. He has a great voice, very pure and on pitch. He harmonized with the choir very well. I think my two favs were his rendition of "Joy to the World" and a Spanish carol he sang.

While I enjoyed the concert immensely, I still don't think it can compare to the one when Sissel came three or four years ago. That concert completely blew me away, and she is such an amazing singer. Even Natalie Cole last year couldn't compare, although she was lovely as well.

Anyway, hats off to the MoTabs and the Orchestra for once again creating a spectacular show. I heard the other night that they received a million requests for this concert. Crazy! All I can say is that they've established a reputation for putting on an excellent show, and we Utahns like to support our own, a.k.a. David Archuleta.

No comments: