Saturday, April 30, 2011

Royal Wedding Mania!

Like millions of other people around the world, I was delighted last November to hear that Prince William became officially engaged to Kate Middleton and planned to marry her in April. It seemed like such a fairy tale — the prince of England (who will one day be king) was marrying someone, a commoner no less even if her family is wealthy, and she’ll now be a princess.

It caught something in my romantic little heart that secretly desired to be some type of princess after watching countless Disney movies about princesses while I was growing up. So, like millions of others I started eating up each and every article that appeared daily in all the major entertainment publications about the wedding. It helps that I’m addicted to such news, even though I know it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. I was excited to picture what this big day would be like and what it would mean for England.

That was until I got tired of seeing headlines about it every day, especially dumb ones like speculation on where they’d be going on their honeymoon, what hat Kate would wear on any given day and others that I can’t even remember because they were so dumb that I blocked them.

In my mind, I got sick of hearing about it and just wanted it to be over. When the actual wedding was held yesterday, I’d decided I wasn’t even going to watch it because I was that sick of hearing about it. That is until my friend said something that completely changed my perspective.

She pointed out to me that it’s been 30 years since the last royal wedding in 1981 when Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer, which incidentally happened before either of us were born. And when would we ever see anything quite like this again, even if we’d only be enjoying it through TV news coverage of the event?

And that’s how I found myself last night at her house, glued to the TV as we fast forwarded through some of the boring parts to enjoy the spectacle that was the royal wedding. Yes, I can see the irony of this too. But I’m admitting it now without any shame. I’m as fascinated as the next person, and I do feel a certain connection to it since I’ve been to London and not only visited Westminster Abbey (where the marriage took place) but have also seen Buckingham Palace, even if it was just the outside.

Congratulations to Prince William and his new wife, Catherine. I wish them the best as they begin their new life together, especially since I’m sure they’ll never be free of paparazzi ever again. May they be blessed with posterity that will go on to become the next kings and queens of England and privacy too since nobody should have to live in the spotlight all the time.

No comments: